Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Potato Candy

Yes, you read that right, Potato Candy!  It all started when.......

My wife was telling me we need to start using the potatoes she bought, so I searched the web for potato recipes and found that people actually make candy with potatoes.  Obviously my curiosity got the best of me so I had to try.

Quick note here, I recently read some of my past posts and realized I am way too long-winded!  Who really wants to read a 3 page essay on how and why I made my latest dessert????  So I am going to try to keep it short this time.  I took lots of pictures since most of us have never heard of potato candy before.



 Just need one spud, a bag of powder sugar and a tub of peanut butter.




Peel and slice the potato, then boil it till it's soft.




Once the potato is soft, drain the water and beat it with a mixer, like you're making mashed potatoes the lazy way.  When the potatoes are good and mushy, add half of the bag of powder sugar and continue to beat. You're probably gonna be thinking this looks a lot like snot, and you're right. At this point add a tablespoon of vanilla extract.







Add in the rest of the powder sugar and it will thicken up a bit.  It still looks too thin to be able to work with a rolling pin, but something magical happens when you take it out of the bowl and it actually rolls out alright.










Lightly dust the countertop, or some wax paper and plop half of the stuff on top.  Dust the batter(?) ish thing with more powder sugar so it doesn't stick to the rolling pin, then roll it out about 1/4 thick.



Smear on some peanut butter.


Then roll it up like a cinnamon roll.  I had to use a scraper to break it free from the counter top.  
And slice it.





 Then for fun, with the remaining half, I added about a shot ( a Brady sized shot) of bourbon to give it some added flavor.





 Then smeared it with nutella instead of peanut butter.



Then went outside and played with my beautiful baby girl while the candy set in the refrigerator for a while.


from bigspud.com

2 comments:

  1. MaMaw Buckner would be so proud. She was a fantastic cook and baker and she loved using potatoes! I can hardly wait to see Little Miss today and will have to try the candy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The candy was surprisingly good. I would have never thought to make candy from potatoes!

    ReplyDelete