Saturday, November 3, 2012

Jesus Calling....through Pie


I know what you're thinking....those look yummy!  Yep they certainly do, but you don't know the half of it. Tomorrow is our small group Sunday and I got to sign up for dessert this time and everybody has been asking me what I'm going to make.  Out of nowhere the most amazing idea hit me. It was an original idea, though I'm sure if you googled it hard enough you could find a pie like this, after all Solomon told us several thousand years ago that there's nothing new under the sun. So like I said, it was an original idea for me, however I have to admit it was inspired in part by the cherpumpple (I believe it's called) that I read about last year.  That crazy creature is a cherry pie, pumpkin pie, and apple pie all baked inside of a cake and weighs in at 1,800 calories per slice.  And if you ask me it doesn't even sound, or look too good.  But this amazing thing that I created over the span of about 4 hours, this thing, it does look good and it sounds even better.

Here it is.  It's a pie crust, my wonderfully flaky, amazing, worlds best pie crust, with a chocolate cake baked inside of it. Then I conjured up a vanilla cream pie filling to put on top of that, and I threw another layer of chocolate cake on top of that, but that looked so sad by itself so I added some more of that pie filling.  And then I topped it off with some meringue. 

Oh yeah, and that other little guy there.  Did you ever see the movie Twins with Arnold and Danny Devito? Let me catch you up in case you haven't seen it or it's been a while because it's a freakin old movie.  Somewhere long ago in a lab somewhere some geneticists engineered the perfect man in a test tube (Arnold), and there just happened to be some leftover genetic trash they put together to make a different man (Danny).  When you make wonderfully flaky, amazing, worlds best pie crust, it actually makes two, so there's an extra one laying around.  Also, when you make a cream pie you have to use some egg yolks which leaves you with some egg whites which just happen to be the main ingredient in meringue (that is why I had the meringue for the huge awesome amazing pie). Then I only used a small amount of the pie filling.  So you see my problem here? I had all these extra things lying around, so I had to make something from it. 
This little guy here is a pie crust filled with the leftover pie filling to which I added some coconut and chocolate chips. Just a little bit of coconut because I only had a very little bit left over from the last coconut cream pie I made.  And I topped it off with some whipped cream that I whipped up and sprinkled with some miniature chocolate chips.


And these are some pictures of everything along the way.

wonderfully flaky, amazing, worlds best pie crust

Cream Pie Filling, straight out of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

Just before the meringue...

Cream pie filling before the cream.

chocolate cakes baking...notice the one on the right is inside a pie crust.
And this has absolutely nothing to do with the book Jesus Calling, it just happened to be in the picture and I thought...hmmm, maybe He really could speak to us through pie.

Stay tuned...I'll add some pictures after we cut these bad boys up tomorrow so you can see just how amazing a slice of the Arnold pie really is...and I'm sure the little Danny Pie is gonna be alright too.


***Ok so I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of just a slice of each of these guys but I did get some feedback.  Arnold wasn't that great...If you're going to try to make this big 'ol fella then you probably ought to use a better quality box cake mix than I did.  I just grabbed the store brand chocolate cake which I've never actually made before and it had a weird taste that I didn't like at all.  Also you're going to want to put on as much of the pie filling as you can between the layers.  I thought I had plenty but once I sliced into it, there was hardly any there and if was definitely apparent in the taste.

Now for the chocolate coconut cream pie (Danny) that was freakin amazing.  I absolutely loved it and recommend it to everybody.  Go make one today....and for a special treat, put a thick layer of melted caramel or caramel sauce on the crust before adding the pie filling.  It's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment