Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Strawberry Pie meet Chocolate Cream Pie...ish

Yesterday I was bored.  I don't have any work right now so usually when I'm bored at home I get new baking ideas...that's how this blog got started in the first place.  My other blog is full of insight and wisdom, it might someday help somebody, maybe change somebody's life.....this one, on the other hand, is gonna change your life today.  Ya wanna know why?????????   PIE is the answer.

So back to the boredom...I was sitting at home thinking of things I could do to occupy my time and I noticed my wife had bought a crapload of strawberries(very technical measurement).  Fearing they would be molded by the end of the day, as seems the trend around my house, I decided to make a pie.  I actually had just read about a pie lady who said her recipe is just 3 cups of flour and 1 cup of fat, so simple I just had to try.  Of course I added a tsp of salt and a tbsp of sugar because you just have to in order to make a good crust, and the iced water too.

So I had a crust and I had some strawberries...what next?  I spent a while looking around at different strawberry pie recipes when I saw the black bottom recipe from pilsbury.  The idea of adding hot fudge sauce to a strawberry pie is absolute genius.  I wish I had thought of it, but I didn't....so I did the next best thing, I stoled their idea.  And like a dumby I didn't take pictures of the process so this is nowhere near as exciting as pioneer woman's tales but oh well.  You're here for the story not the pictures, cuz after all my blog is called the Ugly Cheesecake for a reason.

Marie Calendars always has their fresh fruit pies that are piled high with shiny fruit, but I never really thought they would be that great so I've never tried one.  I mean what's the point?  There's a bunch of shiny strawberries stacked up way high in a pie shell...I'm not sure I get it.  But a cream pie, now we're talking.  I had a strawberry cream pie from Marie once that changed my life forever.  I have tried numerous times to recreate it, but it was seasonal and I haven't seen it since.  However, since the huge-pile-of-whole-strawberries pie seems to be a big hit for her, I decided to combine the two and place that on top of the black bottom pie I stole from pilsbury.  Yesterday was all about thievery i guess.....the result?

Freakin Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It was like a chocolate covered strawberry explosion of awesome in your mouth.  And here is the recipe just for you.....

I didn't just have hot fudge topping laying around the house, but coincidentally I did have all the ingredients to make it so I found this recipe and made that:



Hot Fudge Sauce

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 2/3 cups evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Directions
1.      In a large saucepan, combine the chocolate chips and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted.
2.      Gradually mix in the sugar and milk. Increase heat to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and then stir in vanilla and salt. Serve warm. Store in refrigerator.



Pie Ingredients:
1    Pie crust
2/3 cup hot fudge topping

Cream Filling
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed fresh strawberries
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

Strawberry Glaze
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs corn starch
½ cup water
4-6 cups fresh strawberries

Cream Filling
1.      In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the strawberries.
2.      In another small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken.Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
3.     Fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.


Strawberry Glaze
Combine corn starch and sugar in a saucepan.  Stir in water and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Continue to simmer/boil for about 8 minutes or until thickened, if extra corn starch is needed to thicken, mix additional corn starch with cold water first then add to mixture.  Once thickened remove from heat and cool.  Once at room temperature add strawberries and put in the refrigerator for about an hour or until cooled completely.

Bake the pie crust till golden brown.  Approximately 10 minutes at 450 F. Let cool.
Dump hot fudge sauce into crust and spread evenly.
Add cream filling on top of chocolate and smooth evenly.
Add glazed strawberries.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment